Is a vote for Paul Sommerville a vote for an Independent?

Posted by Dylan Haskins in Campaign Diary

There is a lot of good will towards Independents right now, and certainly those running as non-party candidates will benefit from that good will. Independents are going to be extremely important in this election, and many new faces will become new TDs. But in recent days, I’ve become concerned about the neutrality of an independent in my constituency, Paul Sommerville.

Paul Sommerville is a bright man running on an important single issue with some good ideas. But there is little public awareness of his policies unrelated to the economy, and his rhetoric about marching into meetings in Brussels and telling the Eurocrats who’s boss isn’t very realistic. I’m not convinced we need economists as TDs. We certainly need them in the Department of Finance, but not necessarily in Dáil Eireann.

This week, the director of elections for Fine Gael in my constituency of Dublin South East, Paddy Hayes, emailed Fine Gael activists (see yesterday’s article in The Irish Times) to tell them to encourage voters to give preferences to right-wing independent Paul Sommerville, an Independent candidate in the constituency.  Mr Hayes said Mr Sommerville is “closest to the party in terms of policy and thinking.” Volunteers on my team have also been told by people on the doors in the constituency that Fine Gael canvassers have been telling voters that if they don’t want to vote for Fine Gael, then vote for Paul Sommerville, or if they are giving a vote to Fine Gael to also give Paul Sommerville a preference.  If Fine Gael are canvassing for Paul Sommerville in this constituency, is he still an Independent candidate?

While I was approached by several alliances asking me to affiliate with them in the run up to the campaign, I wanted to remain fully Independent. Many alliances of like-minded Independents have formed since then, and that’s a good thing. It’s a good thing that people with similar interests want to band together and work together and gain strength in numbers, but I felt that I could only truly trust my own ideas. And I believe that if alliances need to happen, they should happen after the election, when Independents with similar policy viewpoints can then come together to build towards a greater influence in the Dail, namely to secure speaking rights, without the constraints of having to answer to a whip. So for now, with the support of a team of 110 volunteers ranging from 18 to 62, we have built a truly Independent campaign.

Even after the election, the legacy of the last government will linger on, so when Ireland sends its delegation to re-negotiate our debts with the EU and the IMF, it must be united in its purpose – to get a better deal for Ireland. No other agendas – party, domestic or political – can be allowed to distract from that central purpose. Too much is at stake for Ireland to send a divided delegation into the debate.

The incoming Minister for Finance must use his government’s new mandate to secure a better deal than the last, divided, weakened and fatally undermined Fianna Fail, Green, Independent government managed. The last government was simply too weak to negotiate from any position of strength. We are living with the consequences of their weakness and division.

In Dublin South East, Paul Sommerville has reasserted his interest in attending those meetings if elected with the support of Fine Gael voters. Fine Gael seem happy with that. It’s not clear what role he sees for himself either in politics or in the delegation to the IMF. Only the Minister for Finance can lead that delegation and direct public officials. Only the Minister for Finance can negotiate and sign the agreement. Whatever deal Sommerville may make with FG, the chances of him becoming Minister for Finance to wield the claims of influence he will have are slim to none. So where Paul Sommerville – Independent, according to his literature - fits into this delegation, is unknown.

If Paul Sommerville wants to be part of the government’s negotiating team, he must do it from within the party of government. The challenge for Mr. Sommerville now is to tell the electorate exactly what relationship he wants to build with Fine Gael. The stakes are too high for Paul Sommerville and Fine Gael to enter into any side agreements when there is more important work to be done. We all know what happened the last time Fine Gael romanced an economic expert. He didn’t last the pace. His name was George Lee.

What I can pledge my supporters is that when elected, I will remain independent, voting for good government and against bad decisions irrespective of the party proposing them, based on my own principles and unsullied by any deals with political parties.

If, as it seems, a vote for Paul Sommerville is a vote for a Fine Gael-supporting TD, then in the interests of transparency, we need to know this before Friday.

9 Responses

• Eamonn Carey says:

Hi Dylan,

So as a commited independant are you saying that you would not support any party in government? If so how do you expect to hold any sway with the powers that be?

Thanks
    Eamonn…

• Colm says:

Dylan, I’m confused by this piece. On Vincent Browne this week you stated that you felt it was time for a new political party and you seemed open to the idea of either forming or being part of such. Yet now you state that you will remain independent. So which is it? Are you running as an independent with a view towards forming/joining a party once elected? Or do you intend to stay independent throughout your term in office if elected? The former seems extremely disingenous to me, as a vote for an independent, should be just that, not a vote for a candidate with some unstated agenda or long term plan.

• Dylan says:

Hi Colm,

Many Irish people are sick of the legacy of civil war politics still dominating the two most prominent parties in the State. The reason I decided to run as an Independent is because I couldn’t relate to any of the parties, and the reason I haven’t joined any new alliances is that with such a short run in to the election, I can only truly stand by own ideas. I also think the whip system is counterproductive for democracy.

On the Vincent Browne programme and elsewhere I have stated that there is no reason why a new political party or parties will not emerge in the next five years. This may or may not happen, but in any case I will remain committed to my independent principals contained in my policy document. As I’m sure you’ll appreciate, there is a significant difference between being open to the hypothetical possibility of being involved in a new political party that doesn’t exist yet and being open to joining an existing party who are running in this election. The blog post is simply seeking clarification on this.

• Colm says:

Thanks for your clarification Dylan. The point I am making, is that many voters choose to back independents, in large part due to the fact that they are just that – independent. There are several established independents who are fully committed to never joining a party, new or otherwise. Regardless of whether a hypothetical party may completely adhere to your principles and policies some voters may not support your move to join such a party, given that they cast their vote for you as an independent. It may not represent their interests, or the intentions or aspirations they held when they cast their vote for you. Personally, were I to cast my vote for you as an independent, I would not be satisfied with you allying yourself with any party, established or otherwise, during your term if you were to be elected. I merely hope that you will keep this in mind.

• Frank says:

WOW. You are bordering on libel here Dylan. I didn’t think mud slinging was your thing. You were gonna get my number 2, your gone completely now. Shame on you.

• Fionn says:

Hi, I’m moderating this blog, just wanted to point out that the last comment came from a user with a fake Gmail address (Gmail addresses need 6 characters in their username), as such claiming to be genuine.

• francis says:

Hi Dylan

Disappointed to see you and your friends slagging off other independents. It shows a lack of maturity and a small mindedness that I thought you were against. Pity because I had been in support of your campaign. Your time and energy would be better spent knocking on some doors in our constituency.

• Dylan says:

Hi Francis, there has been no ‘slagging off’. The blog post was complimentary to Paul’s intelligence and merely asked for clarification on a straight-forward question. Unfortunately there has been no response. I would never mud-sling at another candidate as I know how much work is involved in standing for election.